Answering Your Questions About Burn Injuries

At Drivon Turner & Waters, PLC, we handle a comprehensive range of personal injury cases, including those involving serious burn injuries. In the aftermath of an accident, many burn injury victims are confused and don't know where to turn for reliable answers to their questions.

The following questions are some of the most commonly asked of our attorneys by burn injury victims and their families. For specific answers to questions regarding your potential case, please contact our lawyers to schedule a consultation.

What are the differences between first-, second- and third-degree burns?

First-degree burns are the least severe as they affect only the upper layer of skin and typically heal within weeks.

Second-degree burns involve both the outermost layer of skin and the layer that lies directly underneath. These injuries are more evident, as they usually result in blisters and other obvious signs of damage.

The most serious class of burn is the third-degree burn, which entails damage to all layers of skin as well as the underlying tissues. Such burns can cause long-term, if not permanent, nerve and structural damage and, inevitably, some degree of disfigurement.

What type of burns can form the basis of a personal injury case?

As long as the burn can be shown to have resulted from someone else's negligent actions, the severity of the burn is more important to a personal injury case than the type of burn.

There are four basic types of burns, all of which can form the foundation of a personal injury case:

Light burns refer not to the degree of the burn, but to the source (ultraviolet light, such as sunlight).

Thermal burns typically result from exposure to a scalding hot liquid, steam or flame.

Radiation burns are, as the name suggests, the result of exposure to nuclear and other forms of radiation.

Chemical burns, which often occur due to an unsafe work environment, result from exposure to dangerous chemicals.

Any of these burns can manifest themselves as first-, second- or third-degree burns. Our lawyers are skilled in handling serious burn injury cases of all types.

Do I need an attorney if I suffered my burn injury on the job?

Even if your employer acknowledges that your burn injury occurred in the commission of your normal job duties, it is a good idea to hire an experienced attorney to represent your case. It can be difficult to obtain workers' compensation, especially in the amount needed to cover all of the expenses and losses resulting from your injury.

A burn injury attorney can identify liability in your case and work to ensure that you are properly compensated for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other related damages.

Get In Touch With Our Firm

If you or someone you love has suffered a severe burn injury due to someone else's negligent actions, you need the representation of a lawyer with extensive experience handling burn injury cases.

At Drivon Turner & Waters, PLC, our reputable lawyers provide exceptional legal counsel to residents in Stockton, California, throughout San Joaquin County and surrounding areas. To schedule a free initial consultation, please contact Drivon Turner & Waters, PLC, by calling 209-800-8971 or filling out this online contact form.